Dear City on a Hill Boston Families:
We are committed to improving our communication with families and want to share the details you and your student need to know for January 2020. We strongly believe that the plan to exist as a Lower School (grades 9-10) and an Upper School (grades 11-12) in two buildings is the best plan to support the strongest academic experience for the students. We will continue to provide as many details as possible in order to ease the transition.
1. PARENT EMAILS. We would like to increase the communication we’re able to provide through email. Please return the enclosed form, complete the form on http://bit.ly/2YTBhl3 or contact the Front Office Manager to update your email address so that you can receive updates shared by email.
- Circuit Street (grades 9-10): contact Jessica Jean-Charles at (617) 445-1515 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dudley Square (grades 11-2): contact Marisol Figueroa at (617) 516-5888 or email@example.com
2. BACK TO SCHOOL. All students will return to school after the Winter Break on Wednesday, January 8, 2020. Students in the 9th and 10th grade student will return to City on a Hill Circuit Street (58 Circuit Street, Roxbury) and 11th and 12th grade students will return to City on a Hill Dudley Square (2179 Washington Street, Roxbury). We will have a regular schedule, starting at 8 a.m., and will spend Wednesday-Friday, January 8-10 reviewing for midterm exams.
3. MIDTERM EXAMS. Midterm exams will be held the week of January 13. School will start at 8 a.m. If you child does not have an oral exam or extended time on exams, they will be dismissed at 10 a.m. The schedule is as follows:
- Monday, January 13: History
- Tuesday, January 14: English
- Wednesday, January 15: Math
- Thursday, January 16: Spanish/ELD
- Friday, January 17: Science
4. ORAL EXAMS. With the exception of Constitutional Law, there will be no oral exams during the midterm exam week this year. We will use the time for teacher planning and community building opportunities. We will have oral exam at the end of the 2019-year during finals week.
5. COMMUNITY EVENTS. We are working with student ambassadors to provide activities that will help Dudley and Circuit students get to know each other. There will be an Ice Cream Social for students during exam week at both the Lower and Upper Schools, and we will share out information about additional activities as we continue planning them.
6. SCHEDULES AND BUILDING TOURS. Students who would like to pick up their new schedules and/or have a tour of the Circuit or Dudley building will have the opportunity to do so on Tuesday, January 7.
7. CELL PHONE POLICY. A reminder that the cell phone policy at both schools will remain the same. Students are only permitted to use their cell phones before school, during lunch, and after school. If a student is found with phone outside of these times, it will be confiscated and parents will be asked to come collect it. Please note that this policy extends to headphones and airpods. Please help us in establishing a collegial environment where students use electronics appropriately.
8. LOCKERS. Students moving buildings should have cleaned out their lockers by the end of the day on Friday, December 20 and will be assigned a new locker on Wednesday, January 8. At Circuit, students will be asked to provide their own locks. At Dudley, students put down a $10 deposit that includes the lock and a security deposit in case the lock is missing or the locker is damaged.
9. SCHOOL START/END TIMES. Beginning on Tuesday, January 21 at both the Lower School (Circuit Street) and Upper School (Dudley Square), the bell schedule for the second semester will be as follows:
- Monday/Wednesday: Start at 8 a.m., end at 3:30 p.m.
- Tuesday/Thursday: Start at 9 a.m., end at 3:30 p.m.
- Friday: Start at 8 a.m., end at 1 p.m.
Upcoming Calendar Dates
|Wednesday, January 8||Classes Resume|
|Thursday-Friday, January 8-10||Review for Midterm Exams|
|Monday-Friday, January 13-17||Midterm Exams|
|Monday, January 20||Martin Luther King Jr. Day – School Closed|
|Tuesday, January 21||End of Quarter 2|
|Wednesday, January 22||National Honors Society Induction Ceremony|
|Tuesday, January 28 Thursday, January 30||Parent/Guardian Mornings (7:45-8:45 a.m.)|
|Wednesday, January 29||Parent/Guardian Night (5-7 p.m.)|
|Friday, February 7** Parent volunteers needed – please reach out to the front office **||Movie Night for Upper and Lower schools at the Dudley Square campus|
|Saturday, February 8||Parent Council Meeting (9:30 a.m. upper andlower school combined meeting)|
|Wednesday-Friday, February 5-7||Biology MCAS Retakes|
|Monday-Friday, February 17-21||February Break – School Closed|
Please feel free to reach out with any questions.
Chief Schools Officer
Principal, Lower School
Principal, Upper School
Para leer esta carta en español, haga clic aquí.
Para ler esta carta em português, clique aqui.
Pou li lèt sa a an kreyòl, klike isit la.