Our Mission and Vision
The Urban Teaching Fellowship at City on a Hill graduates qualified, resourceful, skilled teachers committed to improving and advancing urban public high schools.
New teachers learn best by working closely with experienced teacher-mentors in a collegial community of learners and leaders. To improve student performance, the entire learning community must be committed to raising teacher performance. Mentoring of aspiring teachers fosters collegiality and professional growth among all members of the City on a Hill community.
The Urban Teaching Fellowship at City on a Hill prepares its Teaching Fellows to:
- Meet the unique demands of teaching in an urban public high school
- Build relationships with students and families of diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Uphold high standards of academic achievement
- Be pro-child
- Instill intrinsic motivation within their students
- Uphold high standards of democratic citizenship, public accountability, and student comportment
- Demonstrate characteristics of teacher-leaders
- Disseminate best practices