ONE YEAR from you means A LIFETIME for students
- Apply to be a CoaHCORPS member at one of our Boston locations
- Apply to be an Americorps member at our New Bedford location
Please note: We are currently accepting applications for 2017-2018 CoaHCORPS Tutors
What is CoaHCORPS
The CoaHCORPS Tutorial Program is full-time tutoring program serving City on a Hill students in grades 9-11 with daily literacy and numeracy tutorials.
CORPS members commit to a year (Aug-Aug) of service at a City on a Hill school. Members meet the students at their entering achievement levels and work to advance them beyond grade level. As part of this program, City on a Hill provides an annual stipend as well as health and dental benefits, not to mention the experience of a lifetime!
CORPS members have a fixed roster of students that they tutor in small groups.
CORPS members’ responsibilities include:
- Tutoring in either literacy and numeracy
- Developing strong relationships with families/guardians
- Tracking and reporting student results
- Helping with homework, teaching study habits, and reviewing course content
- Facilitating extracurricular activities including Art Club, Drama Club, Creative Writing, Basketball, Yearbook, Cheerleading, etc. (additional stipend)
- Other administrative duties such as lunch room coverage, modeling Sustained Silent Reading (SSR), staff assistance, and substituting during lunch periods
Who are CoaHCORPS members
- CORPS members are college graduates. CORPS members must have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- CORPS members have a strong academic background.
- CORPS members want to help inner-city students succeed in their education.
- CORPS members have a passion for working with urban youth.
- CORPS members are looking to put forth maximum effort for one full year of service.
- CORPS members are eager to reflect on and improve their own performance while working with a team.
- CORPS members can adhere to strict professional standards in preparation, attendance, dress, and timeliness.
- CORPS members come from a wide range of academic backgrounds. They may want to go in to teaching, but past CORPS members have gone on to law school, medical school, education administration, and a wide-range of career paths.
Meet current and past CORPS members and hear what they have to say about the program!
Please note: CoaHCORPS is not a teacher certification program. If you do want to get certified, please learn about our Urban Teaching Fellowship program.